Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Learning to dance...

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain."

I have been thinking about this quote for a little bit. And the more I think about it the more I find it to be very true. Life isn't a bed of roses, anyone could tell you that. It is how we respond to the hard times that count. It's when we find the good in the middle of the "bad" that we really start to live. Being joyful doesn't mean smiling all the time or always being happy...no, joy is when, in the midst of a storm, you cling to the fact that God's love is unconditional, and you learn to "dance in the rain." Realizing that God has allowed this storm for a purpose, for a reason--to make you more complete in Him.

Life isn't about merely surviving during the rain either...although that is sometimes all we feel like doing. It's about learning to dance in the rain. It goes beyond a complacent attitude that says "I guess I will have make it through this one...God must want to teach me something." We need to thrive during the stormy times, taking the hurt and pain and using that as a weight to press us more and more into God.

I know it's mush easier said then done! The pain is so real, the hurt so great that it seems that God's love isn't there, that His promises aren't really true. But what we feel and what is truth are sometimes entirely different things. So during these times we must diligently seek the Word of God and constantly have His promises before us, because it is a fact that God loves us. And we must cling to that fact. We must take our eyes off our own pain and hurt and set before us the promises of God--that He is always faithful, that His love endures forever, that He is our Rock...and the list continues.

So when the storms come don't hide under the bed and wait for them to pass, go out and dance in the rain, and let God's promises shower you with joy!

"But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in You."
Psalm 5:11


6 comments:

Angela Emrich said...

Awww...thanks for sharing your heart Anna, it blessed me! :)

That's one of my very favorite quotes. I was so tickled the other day when I found it on a pillow at Kohls. I promptly decided to buy it, after all, it was just a small pillow and would look SO cute on my couch. Then I saw the price tag of 19.99. And all of a sudden it wasn't so cute anymore, LOL.

Ladygreen said...

This is beautiful, Anna! And yes, I even came here and read it on your blog, even after I said I'd be too lazy to do that :)

But thank you for the reminder! I've oftentimes found myself just surviving through the rain, and it's true, I sit there thinking "I just have to survive....God must be trying to teach me soething." As heroic as i think I'm being sludging my way through the mud, i'm really being pathetic. I'm only truly doing what God wants me to do when I'm dancing, just like you said :)

So who's up for some ballroom lessons?!

The Mayo Family said...

Anna,
Thank you for this & thank you for hearing God & being faithful to follow & "serve HIM"!
Bless you sweet girl,
Mrs Mayo

Allissa said...

I love this Anna! That quote has always been one of my favorites. Very encouraging!!!
~Allissa

Anonymous said...

Anna,

That was SO good. I have been going thru one of these times and wow. You hit the nail on the head! This is exactly what I have been learning! Except you brought out the point that I should REJOICE in this storm! Hm....

Lord, help me to rememeber!!!!

Thank you Anna!

Sarah G.

Next Time Around Economics said...

I have never seen that quote. It is something to live by.

When I was a youngster I used to be scared of the lightening and thunder. My father sat on the side of my bed during one of the worst ones and said “think of those people out there in this storm, those who don’t have a home and be thankful for your warm bed and home.”

Since then I have enjoyed walking in the rain and sitting on the veranda watching storms, thinking of my father. Here rain is frequently in short supply, but it is welcome and brings a cool respite.