Thursday, September 23, 2010

2 weeks of new experiences


My recent(sorta) trip with the Wissmann's was a fun one for many reasons, one of which is that I got to do/experience a lot of new things. I finally told Nathanael that he might want to stop asking me if "I'd seen this, or done that" because (in view of my past record) chances were that I hadn't:)
I seriously think that Grandpa Hager was convinced that I led a sheltered and deprived life, and that I lived in the middle of nowhere and have never done anything(worth mentioning)...I am not exactly sheltered and deprived...I just haven't traveled around in a bus for weeks on end, nor had I had the privilege of visiting Grandpa&Grandma's farm--but all that changed:).
So instead of telling you everything that went on during those 2 weeks, I thought I would make a list my "firsts", and that should give you a pretty good idea of what happened

So...here goes it...

  • Staying at Grandma&Grandpa Hager's house for an entire week!
  • Eating Grandma's food for that entire week (and I could not describe to you how good her cooking is...you just have to experience it.
  • Driving a tractor

  • Having the option of ice cream after ever single meal--Grandma probably would have let me eat some after breakfast...I never did...but I won't tell you I never thought about it:)
  • Weaving on a real loom


  • Riding an old double bike!
  • Learning to flip off a swing
  • Spending 4 days with Elizabeth and Nathanael at Grandpa and Grandma's farm
  • Two hour walk on the railroad tracks



  • Doing Hannah's hair--everyday that we were together:)
  • Getting to wake up to a moving bus--no, that wasn't a first, but it is so wonderful I just had to mention it *smile*


  • Getting stuck in the mud
  • Being pulled out by the massive tractor pictured below



  • Getting to work in Grandma & Grandpa's garden
  • Digging potatoes
  • Trying not to spear the poor potatoes, I wasn't too successful at that (but at least I was better then someone else...who shall remain nameless)

Feeling the soft dirt squish through my toes--this is another one of the "to-good-to-not-mention-even-though-it-wasn't-a-first"

  • Digging potatoes
  • Pulling onions


  • Having a dirt clod land directly in my face...(I won't tell you if it was on purpose or not)


  • Truly experiencing the quote "Dirt is more fun when you add water"

  • Eating potato pancakes
  • Canning peaches
  • Eating cheese curds--I still don't think Grandpa can believe that one:)
  • Eating a yellow raspberry


  • Having warm raspberries on my ice cream
  • Eating Grandma's cookies all day long:) Have you noticed that the word "eating" is mentioned a lot--oh the joys of visiting Grandma's house(even if she isn't your 'real' Grandma)
  • Visting the fish hatchery
  • Hiking around Dunning Springs


  • Lake Itasca Family Bluegrass Festival
  • Instrument workshops
  • Kayaking
  • Hearing Rachel's workshop on songwriting--it was excellent!
  • Learning about Ira Sankey
  • Narrating with 24 hr. notice--I loved it!


  • Working in the snack shak making milkshakes and ice cream cones!
  • Listening to the Wissmann's sing over a dozen times:)

  • Listening to live Bluegrass music all day long
That is just a taste of what went on during those 2 weeks! Not to mention all the hours of talking, laughter, and traveling:)

A very big thank you to each member of the Wissmann family who made my trip so very special...and memorable! And I'm sure I forgot something...but there was just so many...lol


2 comments:

Rachel Wissmann said...

Anna!! You are a true and total delight!! This post brought back SO many happy, sweet memories. I'm so grateful that you were able to join us! What a blessing and help you were! I miss you an exorbitant amount and look forward to seeing you in less than 3 weeks!

Lots of love!!

Kori said...

I love this! It sounds SO fun! ...I mean, how could you not have fun with the Wissmanns, and Grandma and Grandpa?! LOL Thanks for sharing all the fun! :)

♥ you, Anna!